Friday, January 4, 2008

Forgiveness


I am grateful for the "Miracle of Forgiveness". I am most endebted to my Savior, Jesus Christ, for his intervention on my behalf. Some may scoff at my statement or think that I am playing the game of religion, but this is something that I feel deep down in my soul.

When I was younger I was not the wisest of youth. I paticipated in activities that I knew were not what I should do. I evaluated my life when I was 23 years old and determined that I was not heading on the path that I really wanted. I decided that it was time to take a different direction in my life. I decided to go on a mission for my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I talked with my Bishop and with the Stake President and made reparations and began the healing process. My state of preparation was poor and I had to begin basically at the beginning.

I read the Standard Works (the Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price) except for most of the Old Testament. I had a basic belief that the things I was studying were true. After entering into the Missionary Training Center and learning some basic Spanish I headed to Argentina.

A transformation began when I decided to serve a mission. It was not an immediate change, but a gradual transformation. I worked with fervor for most of the time I was in Argentina. I had some good and bad experiences. I was allowed to study and teach about the principles that I needed in my life also. Through my efforts in preparing and teaching I was the recipient of some of the very blessings that I was about to give to others.

We have been commanded to avoid the very appearance of evil. This command does not come from the necessity to hide our sins, but to avoid the possiblility to participate in the sins. We are all tempted, and on occasions we succumb to our weaknesses and commit sin. If we strive to receive forgiveness and the peace that comes with that great gift we must perform the necessary duties. We must abandon the sin, not commit the sin more, ask forgiveness, and if needed make restitution. The feeling of forgiveness is a wonderful feeling. Guilt brings sadness; feelings of forgiveness bring happiness. Let us be happy and not sad by seeking the help of our Lord.

When I was on my mission I had a unique experience where I felt the cleansing joy of forgiveness. I sometimes have to remind myself of that wonderful feeling by reflecting on the experience. The power of the Holy Ghost is real. I know this because I have felt the influence of the Holy Spirit in my life. At times the influence is great, and sometimes the influence is subtle. The influence of the Holy Spirit in my life has been proportional to my diligence in doing the things that I believe the Lord would want me to do.

I reflect in the sentiments that Alma expressed when he said he would like to be an angel to exclaim to the world the good news of the gift of redemption. But like him, I am also human and subject to human weakness of wanting to have others obey my will. Alas, it is not the way things work. Each human is ultimately responsible for their own choices and the consequences of those choices.

Our thoughts preceed our actions and influence what we do.
The things we do engender habits.
Our habits influence our character.
Our character determines our destiny.

There are some things in this life that are precious to me. I love Jeanette dearly. She helps me to be a better person by her positive influence. I love my children. I love my grandchildren. I love my brothers and sister. I love my parents. I love my fellow. The grace and forgiveness that comes from my Saviour is also very dear to me. Jesus is waiting to hear from all of us. I share these things in hope that they may have a beneficial effect for someone. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I know it helped me. I have already asked Brandy to forgive me for calling her "your worship."

    On a more serious note, I love to hear or read about how the Savior has impacted people's lives. His power is real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed writing about some of these things. I have garnered benefit also.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. Be nice.